can't exec /usr/sbin/named-xfer: Permission denied

Brad Knowles brad.knowles at skynet.be
Tue Mar 27 23:56:13 UTC 2001

At 5:42 PM -0600 3/27/01, Brian Elliott Finley wrote:

>  Yes, yes.  I am aware of the exploits, but not too worried because it's
>  in jail and the file structure is re-created whenever it's restarted.

	Problem is, chroot() jails can be escaped, especially if you can
get root privileges in the jail.  Indeed, by far the vast majority of
security breaches involved taking an existing account (privileged or
not) and then using that to exceed your level of authorized access to
gain root privilege.

	Having a chroot() jail is no excuse for doing everything you
possibly can to keep people off the machine in the first place.

	Indeed, the single most important thing you can do is to do
everything possible to keep them off the machine in the first place
-- a chroot() jail is only a second level of protection for those
cases where someone comes along with a new exploit that hasn't yet
been fixed in the public version.

/*        efdtt.c  Author:  Charles M. Hannum <root at ihack.net>          */