NS record question

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Fri Mar 30 00:36:48 UTC 2001

On Mon, Mar 26, 2001 at 02:39:40PM -0500, Bob Vance wrote:
> Actually, it appears that you do *not* have to have the NS records in
> the parent zone *file*, though -- only in the child zone *file*.
>
> This makes sense because, the NS records defined in child zone file will
> show up in the servers cache anyway, since it's on the same server.
>
> Thus, the NOTIFY issue that I raised couldn't actually exist -- the
> primary *will* have the NS records for the child zone, like it or not :)

This is only because of a "bug"/"feature" [take your pick, I've seen it
both ways] that was unintentional in BIND 8.  Because of stricter zone
requirements, this does not happen in BIND 9.  You are going to be
using BIND 9 or its descendants one of these days.  Fix it now.

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B