Running BIND 8.2.3 in a chrooted environment

James Raftery james-bind-users at now.ie
Mon May 14 17:16:51 UTC 2001

On Mon, May 14, 2001 at 05:31:57PM +0100, Bush, Stephen wrote:
> I've got loads of URLs to howto's on running bind in a chrooted environment.
> The one I'm using is http://www.pgci.ca/p_bind.html ... I've been trying it
> for a few days now and can't get past this one error.

Yikes! That's an insane way to do that.

Try this (with unmodified sources):

Build and install BIND as normal. Use the instructions in the
INSTALL doc. to edit that to your tastes. (Installation directories,
compilation options and such).

The *only* binary you need in the chroot area is named-xfer. Use ldd to
put the shared lbraries that named-xfer needs into the tree also.

Put named-xfer into $CHROOT/usr/local/sbin and

ld.so.1
libc.so.1
libdl.so.1
libl.so.1
libmp.so.1
libmp.so.2
libnsl.so.1
libsocket.so.1

into $CHROOT/usr/lib. (This is what named-xfer needs on my Solaris 8
box).
Setup the device nodes and directory layout as described in the paper
under $CHROOT.

Start named with a command line similar to

 /usr/local/sbin/named -t $CHROOT -u $USER -g $GROUP

substituting $CHROOT, $USER and $GROUP as necessary. The -t option tells
named to chroot() to $CHROOT. It loads all its shared libraries before
it does this so you don't need to mess with static compilation or having
named itself in the chroot tree.

james
--
James Raftery (JBR54)
  "It's somewhere in the Red Hat district"  --  A network engineer's