Usual way for internet hosts

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Mon May 14 21:26:44 UTC 2001

On Mon, May 14, 2001 at 07:55:20PM -0000, syn uw wrote:
> I wanted to know if there is a sort of standard or maybe someone can provide
> me a sample configuration of how to configure BIND for a little network
> connected to the internet with a mail server, dns server web server, etc. My
> main question is: should I call my DNS server ns.mydomain.com or
> somefancyname.mydomain.com and then do a CNAME for NS ? What is the best way
> or the most used way ?

There is no naming standard.  Some people use "a", "b", "c"; some use
"gandalf", "bilbo", and "pippin" or the like.  Or "spock", "ryker", and
"worf".

But you MUST NOT use a CNAME alias on the right-hand side of an NS or
MX record.

If you feel that for some unknowable reason you must call your name
server "ns", as well as its real name, use two A records.  ;-)

OSIS Center Computer Support					EMT-B