Nameserver problem when "-q=any" is used.

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Mon May 14 21:27:19 UTC 2001

The problem with -q=any is that most nameservers (most BIND nameservers at
least) treat -q=any queries as non-recursive even if they would normally honor
recursion. So if the PTR record you wanted to see didn't happen to be in the
cache of upoint.net.my, that explains why the lookup failed. Why don't you just
leave off the "-q=any"? upoint.net.my seems quite able to resolve a reverse
record for 216.98.150.25 now. Maybe you should re-submit your application or
get more clarification of what is meant by "[your] nameservers are not in
order".

- Kevin