BIND server dimensioning

Bill Larson wllarso at swcp.com
Tue May 15 16:06:39 UTC 2001

Given Brad's explaination, which is absolutely correct, why not try and
provide your users with a farm of DNS servers rather than provide only
a single server.  This way you can break up your 1000-3000 queries/sec
into a more easily managed 100-300 queries/sec/server, if you provide 10
servers.

This would assist your users by avoiding a possible single point of
failure when one (or more) of your DNS servers are unavailable.

Also, if you are expecting to be receiving this many queries from a web
server that is performing reverse, in-addr.arpa, lookups, an effective
solution would be to avoid these DNS lookups simply for logging
purposes.  You can summarize your logs and then  perform these queries
only for the addresses that you are seriously interested in rather than
everything, which may not buy you much.

Bill Larson