Almost There ...

Desmond Coughlan desmond at cybercable.fr
Thu May 17 16:42:38 UTC 2001

Hi again,
I've decided to follow to the letter all of the instructions in the
doc/arm pages.

The file Bv9ARM.ch04.html lists the syntax as ...

options {
     directory "/etc/namedb";           // Working directory
     pid-file "named.pid";              // Put pid file in working dir
     allow-query { any; };              // This is the default
     recursion no;                      // Do not provide recursive
service
};
// Root server hints
zone "." { type hint; file "root.hint"; };

// Provide a reverse mapping for the loopback address 127.0.0.1
zone "0.0.127.in-addr.arpa" {
     type master;
     file "localhost.rev";
     notify no;
};
// We are the master server for example.com
zone "example.com" {
     type master;
     file "example.com.db";
     // IP addresses of slave servers allowed to transfer example.com
     allow-transfer {
          192.168.4.14;
          192.168.5.53;
     };
};
// We are a slave server for eng.example.com
zone "eng.example.com" {
     type slave;
     file "eng.example.com.bk";
     // IP address of eng.example.com master server
     masters { 192.168.4.12; };
};

I've done exactly as they suggested here, and in fact, this example serves
my purposes well, as the server I'm installing, will be primary for one
zone, and secondary for another zone.

However, nowhere in that doc, can I find the syntax of the other files,
namely ...

# cd /etc/namedb
# ls
company.com.db  company.com.bk
localhost.rev

I imagine the .bk file will be obtained from the primary server, but
concerning the zone for which this server _is_ primary ... is it safe to
use the example in the file ...

http://ftp.ripe.net/ripe/docs/ripe-192.html

..?

I ask, because at the beginning of this file, it says ...

'and that you are using the Berkeley Internet Name Daemon (BIND) version 8
or version 4.'

I'm not.  I'm using 9.1.2.

I have /etc/namedb/root.hints

What is the next step, after having defined company.com.db ?  Can I start
named, and expect it to get the zone data for the file .bk ?

Sorry if these questions are basic, but ... thanks in advance.  :)

D.

--
Desmond Coughlan               |Restez Zen ... UNIX peut le faire
desmond at cybercable.fr          |YGL#4 YFC#1 YFB#1 UKRMMA#14 two#38