How to Spec Hardware

Brad Knowles brad.knowles at skynet.be
Thu May 17 20:04:52 UTC 2001

At 6:03 PM +0000 5/17/01, ns at linuxplanet.nu wrote:

>  What are the calculations involved in trying to spec a Solaris box for an
>  Internet name server, assumming 1000 client users will initially be using
>  it to resolve Internet names.

	I'm not aware of any.  Moreover, you haven't provided enough
information about the client side to really begin to try to answer
the question.

	The first thing you need to do is to get a better idea of where
you are today, by analyzing the statistics available from your
existing nameserver.  Tools like
<ftp://ftp.shub-internet.org/pub/shub/brad/dns/dnsstats.gz> may be
able to help.

>  How does one know the memory and CPU speed required.  Most people are of
>  the opinon that DNS bind does require a high spec, however I have seen
>  bind die due to demand, although the daemon didn't infact die, but it
>  stoped resolving names, I have had to restart the daemon a couple of
>  time in the last 6 months, I am convinced it was due to lack of
>  resource on the server.

	Before you can start fixing a problem, you first need to better
understand what it is that you're trying to fix.

/*        efdtt.c  Author:  Charles M. Hannum <root at ihack.net>          */