Root Nameserver Showing Wrong Address

Cricket Liu cricket at VeriSign.com
Fri May 18 15:57:14 UTC 2001

> I've had a problem with mail going to the server olie.appweb.com.  Several
> people, not all, get mail returned as undeliverable.  When I checked out
> AOL's dns and did a dig, I got the following results.
>
> olie.appweb.com is showing as 204.247.188.1, when it should show as
> 216.218.222.66.  The twist is that the name servers (ns1, ns2) have the
> correct ip address and if queried.
>
> The 204.247.188.1 address was olie's address over a year ago.  I haven't
> made any changes to appweb.com for about the same period of time.
>
> The only thought I had was I used a serial number in the format
9912010000.
> When I moved I changed it to 2000010100.  I changed it last night to
> 99990051700.

No, the problem is that someone registered olie.appweb.com
as a name server at some point, and the address has never been
updated:

whois olie.appweb.com
[whois.crsnic.net]

Whois Server Version 1.3

Domain names in the .com, .net, and .org domains can now be registered
with many different competing registrars. Go to http://www.internic.net
for detailed information.

   Server Name: OLIE.APPWEB.COM
   IP Address: 204.247.188.1
   Registrar: NETWORK SOLUTIONS, INC.
   Whois Server: whois.networksolutions.com
   Referral URL: www.networksolutions.com

You can use the form at
http://www.networksolutions.com/cgi-bin/makechanges/itts/host
to delete olie's registration (if it's no longer a name server) or update
the
address.

cricket