Queries Work on Local, but ...

Desmond Coughlan desmond at cybercable.fr
Tue May 22 11:39:55 UTC 2001

Hi Again,
I managed to get the domain information for the zone company.internal.com
by pointing the machine at our current primary.  Now ...

# nslookup foehn
Server:  localhost
Address:  127.0.0.1

Name:    foehn.company.internal.com
Address:  192.168.3.31

I know that the zone transfer has worked, because I did not enter that
information into /etc/namedb/company.internal.com.db, and the file
/etc/namedb/company.internal.com.db.bk now contains the zone date.

The problem is, I want to be able to run lookups from any machine in the
domain, and if I try, for example, to lookup an address, from my
workstation here, using the new DNS box ...

$ nslookup foehn dnsx
(root)  nameserver = H.ROOT-SERVERS.NET
(root)  nameserver = I.ROOT-SERVERS.NET
(root)  nameserver = J.ROOT-SERVERS.NET
(root)  nameserver = K.ROOT-SERVERS.NET
(root)  nameserver = L.ROOT-SERVERS.NET
(root)  nameserver = M.ROOT-SERVERS.NET
(root)  nameserver = A.ROOT-SERVERS.NET
(root)  nameserver = B.ROOT-SERVERS.NET
(root)  nameserver = C.ROOT-SERVERS.NET
(root)  nameserver = D.ROOT-SERVERS.NET
(root)  nameserver = E.ROOT-SERVERS.NET
(root)  nameserver = F.ROOT-SERVERS.NET
(root)  nameserver = G.ROOT-SERVERS.NET
*** Can't find server name for address 192.168.3.191: No information
*** Default servers are not available

So obviously, whilst I'm logged onto the server, I can lookup any host on
the local domain, but not whilst using a remote workstation (or
server) pointing at the new server.

Would anyone know why ?

D.

--
Desmond Coughlan               |Restez Zen ... UNIX peut le faire
desmond at cybercable.fr          |YGL#4 YFC#1 YFB#1 UKRMMA#14 two#38