Alternative to Wildcard MX record

Brad Knowles brad.knowles at skynet.be
Tue May 22 12:02:00 UTC 2001

At 10:48 PM -0400 5/21/01, Lew E. Lefton wrote:

>  2.  Add MX records for each host in DNS.  Also Yuk.  Adds more traffic to
>      DNS server, makes zone file twice as big, it has to be updated each
>      time a host is added.  (This is not so bad since I have to add the A
>      record to DNS anyway, but it still seems like extra effort when I know
>      every MX record is going to be the same in advance), and when I tried
>      this I got the mail loops back to self problem... Hmmmm.

	Every host that can be expected to handle mail should have an MX
record for it in the DNS.  This is a cardinal rule that virtually
everyone always seems to ignore.

	Of course, it also requires that the target mail server be
modified to suit.  But IMO, this is just one of the prices you pay
for wanting every single machine within your domain to be able to
have mail directed to it.

/*        efdtt.c  Author:  Charles M. Hannum <root at ihack.net>          */