Why did this occur when turning off recursion

King, John (Greg) (OAO-HOU) jking at houston.oao.com
Tue May 22 12:28:14 UTC 2001

I added the following named.conf entries

recursion no;
fetch-glue no;

Restarted BIND and my entire home network could not resolve anything. I
thought the server would respond back with the root server list telling my
system where it needed to go to find its information (and not use my dns
server to do the lookup). Instead nothing resolved at all. Took the entries
out and everything worked again.

I can setup an acl for the server to allow the hosts on my network to use
recursion but I am mainly wondering what i missed in understanding how it
(recursion) worked.

thanks

Greg King