delegation

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Thu May 24 03:12:52 UTC 2001

If you want to be able to resolve Internet names, you need to have least
one publically-registered address. Otherwise, how are the response packets
from Internet nameservers supposed to get back to you? But for internal
use, your clients should have no problem querying your internal nameservers
using private addresses. To deal with the public/private addressing
boundary, you need either a multi-homed server or some form of NAT.

Please don't use "master" to mean "listed first in /etc/resolv.conf". List
the nameservers in each /etc/resolv.conf in the order you wish for them to
be tried (if a client gets no answer from the first-listed nameserver,
it'll try the second-listed nameserver). Whether those nameservers are
"master" or "slave" is irrelevant to the clients.

- Kevin