Forward an RR to another name server

Eivind Olsen eivind.olsen at ttyl.com
Thu May 24 17:02:31 UTC 2001

--On 24. mai 2001 11:27 -0500 kmcelwain at pointcloud.com wrote:
> Good morning,
> Is it possible to forward an RR to another name server?  I would like to
> forward www requests to a load balancer that has a minimal DNS server, so
> when someone looks up www.mydomain.com, my bind 9.1.2 server will tell
> them to go to the load balancer's DNS server to get the A record to the
> colo with the least load.

This could be done like a normal delegtion (which is what it really is).
For example, let's say dns.example.com is your DNS-server, 10.10.1.1 is the
webserver, load.example.com (10.10.2.1) is the loadbalancer, and
www.example.com is what you like to use externally for web-access.

On dns.example.com you, in the zone-file for the example.com zone, you
could have:

load.example.com		IN A 10.10.2.1   (or, the IP-address it has)
www.example.com		IN NS load.example.com

Then, queries for www.example.com would first hit dns.example.com, which
would see that it was delegated to load.example.com - and the DNS on
load.example.com would have to answer for www.example.com and tell which
IP-address it has.

--
Talk To You Later