using in.named and named.boot on BIND V8

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Thu May 24 21:57:00 UTC 2001

On Thu, May 24, 2001 at 01:24:24PM -0700, Ravi Nair wrote:
> I have BIND 8.2.3 installed and used in.named and
> named.boot combination to resolve DNS names.Works fine
> on all machines locally with nslookup.
> But once I convert the named.boot to named.conf and
> use the named process , nothing seems to be resolving
> using nslookup.
> IS it a problem if i use named.boot with in.named on
> Version 8 of BIND.

What is the fully-qualified name of in.named?  What date is it?  I
suspect that it is /usr/sbin/in.named, and that it dates back to the
1990s.  It is probably BIND 4, especially if it works with your
/etc/named.boot file.  You MUST NOT USE IT.

Your new BIND 8 executable [about which more in a minute] is probably
located at /usr/sbin/named or /usr/local/sbin/named, depending on what
parameters you used when you configured your system.  [And what kind of
system is it, anyway?]  Your 'named' probably uses either
/etc/named.conf or /usr/local/etc/named.conf, again depending on how
you configured it.  To find out, change to the directory in which
'named' lies, and run 'strings named | grep named.conf'. It will tell
you where it is looking for the config file.  Probably /etc/named.conf.

You must also change the boot-time startup file to call the correct
version of the name server.  This file is probably /etc/init.d/named OR
/etc/init.d/inetsvc.  Again, cd to /etc/init.d [on some systems, this
is /sbin/init.d] and do a 'grep named *'.

Oh, yes.  Your new BIND 8 executable.  Delete it.  Get BIND 8.2.4, and
install it instead.  I would say, "or BIND 9.1.2", except that BIND
9.1.3rc1 has been announced.  I'm waiting for that line to stabilise.

ONCE YOU HAVE DONE ALL OF THE ABOVE, please check with your 'syslogd'
output to see whether the new BIND 8.2.4 'named' is giving you any
error output on any of the zone files.  If so, please fix and try
again.

OSIS Center Computer Support					EMT-B