Starting BIND 9

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Fri May 25 11:44:08 UTC 2001

    Cihan> I just installed my Bind9.1.0 on aix and did the necessary
    Cihan> changes in my conf file.....The server is both master for
    Cihan> some zones and slave for some others...but now I cannot
    Cihan> control the the dns with ndc (rndc)...

Correct. ndc has been superseded by rndc. From doc/misc/migration:

   5. Server Administration Tools

   The "ndc" program has been replaced by "rndc", which is capable of
   remote operation.  Unlike ndc, rndc requires a configuration file;
   see the man pages in doc/man/bin/rndc.1 and doc/man/bin/rndc.conf.5 for
   details.  Some of the ndc commands are still unimplemented in rndc.

    Cihan> Do I need a rndc.conf file?

If you plan to use rndc, yes.

    Cihan> or is there a way to work around this problem...?

No.

    Cihan> and also in my version "rndc start" does not exist (how I would
    Cihan> start the named with rndc?)

You can't. You start a BIND9 name server by invoking it directly:
    /some-pathname-or-other/named