using in.named and named.boot on BIND V8

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Fri May 25 15:22:46 UTC 2001

On Thu, May 24, 2001 at 06:53:17PM -0400, Kevin Darcy wrote:

> No, /etc/named.conf is where named will look unless you specify another
> pathname for the config file on the command line. So this implies that
> you are *not* running BIND 8. You could confirm this by moving
> named.boot to a different name and seeing if your namesever still starts
> and runs.
>
> What do your logs say? With a little luck, they'll announce what version
> of BIND is starting up.
>
> - Kevin
>
> Ravi Nair wrote:
>
> > Well,
> > BIND 8 is seen to work since i am able to resolve
> > names on the dns machine itself as well as other sun
> > machines on the same network.
> > ALso if I run the named process with no named.conf
> > file in /etc  the process runs.Does that mean the
> > named process is looking for named.conf elsewhere or
> > it isn't looking at all??
> > My named.conf file is
> > options {
> >         directory "/etc/domain";
> >         dump-file "/opt/namedb/named_dump.db";
> >         memstatistics-file
> > "/opt/namedb/named_memstats.db";
> >         named-xfer "usr/local/sbin/named-xfer";
> >         pid-file "/opt/namedb/named.pid";
> >
> > };
> >
> > #
> > #
> > #
> > zone "." {
> >         type hint;
> >         file "db.cache";
> > };
> >
> > zone "localhost" {
> >         type master;
> >         file "db.localhost";
> > };
> >
> > zone "0.0.127.in-addr.arpa" {
> >         type master;
> >         file "db.0.0.127";
> > };
> >
> > zone "5.0.10.in-addr.arpa" {
> >         type master;
> >         file "db.5.0.10";
> > };
> >
> > zone "19.166.65.in-addr.arpa" {
> >         type master;
> >         file "db.19.166.65";
> > };
> >
> > zone "4.0.10.in-addr.arpa" {
> >         type master;
> >         file "db.4.0.10";
> > };
> >
> > zone "inv6-sjwisp.net" {
> >         type master;
> >         file "db.inv6-sjwisp.net";
> > };
> > -----------------------------
> >
> > > BIND 8 won't run with a config in named.boot format.
> > > Instead of trying
> > > for a "quick fix", why don't you get to the root of
> > > the problem? Post
> > > your named.conf and your zone files (if you have
> > > *lots* of zone files,
> > > just post a reasonable sampling of them). Also, post
> > > anything
> > > interesting-yet-relevant that you see in your logs.
> > >
> > > - Kevin

> > > fine
> > > and
> > > resolving
> [...]

Things he never told us:

	- He is running some version of Solaris - I don't know what.
	- His 'named' is in /usr/local/sbin/named; he was running BIND
	4 (/usr/sbin/in.named) and he WAS thinking that brought up his
	new BIND 8.
	- His 'named' looks for /usr/local/etc/named.conf, not
	/etc/named.conf.  And of course in.named looks for
	/etc/named.boot [which was a first clue].

I  w i s h  people wouldn't assume that others can read minds.  Kind of
like the folks who say, "I can't see my site - is something wrong with
the firewall"?  How many of you assumed that the user was using Web? he
never said that.  How many of you guessed [correctly, 90% of the time]
that the firewall was correctly reporting that the site was down?  How
many of you know what site he was talking about?  I don't, to this day.

OSIS Center Computer Support					EMT-B