using in.named and named.boot on BIND V8

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Fri May 25 17:00:20 UTC 2001

On Fri, May 25, 2001 at 09:23:27AM -0700, Ravi Nair wrote:
> In fact I wasn't annoyed enough as I sounded
> .........I am being patient..but I started off in the
> proper way with the correct BIND documentation for
> Solaris 2.6 and still ran into problems.
> Would really appreciate if you could send me a
> location for complete install document to have BIND
> 8.2.3 on Solaris 2.6 with how to test whether the
> server is working.................since I hear
> different explanations on use of nslookup.....

All of the Solaris 2.6 documentation will assume you are using the
delivered version of BIND, which is ancient.  Don't use it.  It also
will assume that you never have to modify 'inetsvc'.

The INSTALL and README documents contain great information, as does the
"doc" tarball, which I assume you got when you got your "src" tarball.
If not, go back to ftp.isc.org ... and IGNORE the 8.2.3 tarballs,
instead, pick up ALL THREE tarballs for 8.2.4.  Use them.

The 'nslookup' program is a great little program for translating names
to IP addresses and back ONCE DNS IS WORKING PROPERLY.  Otherwise, as
people rightly complain [sometimes going a bit overboard], it is a
terrible tool for debugging a name server with problems.  The 'dig'
program gives much more information, which totally overwhelms the
casual user.

See the manual entries in doc/man for how to use 'nslookup' and 'dig',
once you have retrieved the 8.2.4 src, doc, and contrib tarballs.

OSIS Center Computer Support					EMT-B