can't get ixfr to work

Hannah O Day hoyoung at us.ibm.com
Sat May 26 01:03:52 UTC 2001

Kevin,

I'm running bind8.2.3 on both master and slave servers.  I assume it should
do incremental zone transfer.  But the log still shows full zone transfer
(axfr).  Do I need to do anything to make it happen?

Thanks!
Hannah Day
-----

                    Kevin Darcy
                    <kcd at daimlerchr       To:     bind-users at isc.org
                    ysler.com>            cc:
                    Sent by:              Subject:     Re: single class B zone vs multiple class C zone
                    bind-users-boun
                    ce at isc.org

                    05/25/01 05:18
                    PM

Yes, you may run into performance issues, since the zone will be larger and
probably change more frequently. This will greatly increase your
zone-transfer
overhead. On the other hand, it may reduce your serial-number-query
overhead,
since there are now less zones for the slave to check. But the
serial-number-query overhead is usually a small fraction of the
zone-transfer
overhead, so you'll probably lose more than you'll gain here,
performance-wise.

Why do you care to consolidate all of those reverse zones? If you're
maintaining the data in those zones automatically via Dynamic Update from
your
DHCP server, then it shouldn't really matter whether they are separate
zones
or all one zone.

- Kevin