The disgusting and useless nslookup

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Sat May 26 19:25:25 UTC 2001

    Bob> That's the main reason that I use it -- in fact I always use
    Bob> the vendor's copy so that things like nsswitch are accounted
    Bob> for.  The other reason that I use it is laziness -- I'd
    Bob> rather type ping bobv than ping bobv.dyn.atl.sbm.com

This is one of the major reasons for *not* using nslookup. If nslookup
is returning answers from other lookup mechanisms on the computer, how
can you expect it to troubleshoot DNS problems? How can you tell which
lookup facility the answer came from? What if that answer differs from
what's in the DNS (which wasn't queried because nsswitch and friends
say "look at /etc/hosts or NIS before going to the DNS")?