The disgusting and useless nslookup

Brad Knowles brad.knowles at skynet.be
Sun May 27 21:34:58 UTC 2001

At 8:02 PM -0400 5/26/01, Bob Vance wrote:

>  Ooops.  Yeah, actually you're right.  'nslookup''s logic generally tries
>  to emulate resolver logic, but my experience has been that the vendor's
>  version at least uses "nsswitch" if the local resolver libraries do.

	Right, but if a new version of BIND (from the ISC site) is
installed on the machine, then the version of nslookup that will be
used will be the ISC version, which won't go through
/etc/nsswitch.conf.

	Since virtually no vendors on Earth manage to keep anywhere
remotely close to reasonably up-to-date with the version of named
(and the DNS debugging tools) that they ship, the probability is very
high that it will be replaced with the latest version from the ISC,
thus completely and totally invalidating the so-called "usefulness"
of nslookup.

/*        efdtt.c  Author:  Charles M. Hannum <root at ihack.net>          */