Bind Newbie

HALES, Brett brett.hales at baesystems.com
Mon May 28 01:12:34 UTC 2001

I have recently installed BIND-8 using the Linux.org howto's.
http://www.linux.org/docs/ldp/howto/DNS-HOWTO.html

It works fine, caches dns names etc... but you already knew that.

I have some machines on my personal domain, all using 192.168.1.x. I would
like to resolve the names using DNS.

I do not know how to do it. (Yes, I have searched the archives but cannot
find something simular, obviously not searching for the correct string ;-/)

I gather I need to add a file in /var/named/ with the list of names of my
private machines. Has anybody got an example I can view? I think this also
requires changing named.conf to tell it where to find this file? Is this
correct?

Thanks in advance...

Cheers,

Brett Hales