Forward/reverse comparison

Todd Snyder tsnyder at maxlink.com
Mon May 28 12:32:09 UTC 2001

Good day all .. first time poster, long time lurker ..

I work for a small ISP, and we're having some problems with our DNS.
unfortunatly, due to the way things were going before I worked here, there
are 3 different depts that work on our primary and secondary on a regular
basis.  This is introducing some consistancies in our DNS, between forwards
and reverses ... so .. I have a couple questions for you:

1) We have 2 different IP blocks assigned to us, and we do forward/reverse
for them, split into many domains.  Is it BAD if we have more than one
forward/reverse for a single ip? (ie: 123.123.123.123 resolves to
nocserv1.tor.maxlink.com AND nocserv1.maxlink.net)

2) I want to go through ALL of our IP space and compare forwards to reverses
... I'm going to write a script that uses the deadly NSLOOKUP to do a
forward on an IP, grab the name, then do a reverse on it, and if they don't
match, dump it to a file.  Does anyone have a better way to do it?  It's
going to pound our server, so I'll do it overnight or something, but if
anyone has any better ideas, let me know.

3) are there any tools that you would reccomend for regular DNS maintenance?
we use webmin for our provisioning dept to maintain it, which works well,
but I'm looking for command-line and batch kinda utils to check for various
things.

4) we're experiencing a LOT of latency with our HP Openview box and our DNS.
They are on the same subnet, in fact, they are in the same rack.  When using
gethostbyname(), which HPOV uses, we see latency of upto 2hrs! for a single
resolution, which is rendering the whole system useless because HPOV doesn't
appear to do multiple lookups.  I'm going to try installing BIND on our HPOV
server and see if that helps (make it a caching server only. .. etc) .. but
if anyone has any ideas whats going on, please, feel free to share.

Thanks all .. I appreciate your help.  I've kind of been thrown this job and
want to get thigns working well.

Todd Snyder

Network Operations
maxlink Communications Inc.