nslookup from WinNT machine

Klinkefus, David S DSKlinkefus at midamerican.com
Tue May 29 21:29:10 UTC 2001

The first thing that comes to mind for me is e-mail. I had a user that was
expecting an e-mail subscription service that was coming from
energycentral.com.
Since the MX record was setup as energycentral.com with a preference of 1.
Since
our firewall could not do successful lookup of the forward/reverse address
of the
mail server, namely energycentral.com, it wouldn't accept any messages from
that
domain. I **could** have added them to the allowed hosts list, but that is
not the
correct way to resolve this issue.

I asked the admin to either change the preference on the MX record, or
remove it completely,
and he did remove the MX record, and the user is getting his e-mails from
the service once more.

So in short, that is one instance that I can think of where a **correct**
PTR record is a must!

Dave K.
MEC