nslookup from WinNT machine

Brad Knowles brad.knowles at skynet.be
Tue May 29 23:09:03 UTC 2001

At 5:55 PM -0400 5/29/01, Kevin Darcy wrote:

>  As for the general practice of mailers refusing mail from IP addresses
>  that don't reverse-resolve, I consider that one of the crudest and most
>  false-rejection-prone anti-spam mechanisms ever dreamed up.

	Contrariwise, being the original Senior Internet Mail Systems
Administrator for AOL, and one of the originators of many of the
early anti-spam techniques, I consider it to be one of the most
effective (and simple) measures available.

	There is no way I would even consider setting up a mail server
without turning on this feature -- certainly, I wouldn't do so except
under extreme pressure, and even then I would only do so under
violent protest.

>                                                               I put it in
>  roughly the same category as basing your remote-execution/
>  remote-login security on .rhosts and/or hosts.equiv files.

	Right, well I don't use .rhosts or hosts.equiv at all.  If you
want onto my machines, you have to have your ssh key in the
appropriate file, otherwise you don't get through at all.

/*        efdtt.c  Author:  Charles M. Hannum <root at ihack.net>          */