Scripts to start and stop

Adam Lang aalang at rutgersinsurance.com
Wed May 30 14:20:16 UTC 2001

It is a perl script in the contrib folder of the bind 9 source (do not know
if it is in earlier versions).

What you do is, instead of starting named, you start nanny.pl.  It checks to
see if named is running... if it isn't, it starts it.  If it is running, it
sleeps for 2 minutes and checks again.

Basically, it will restart named if it goes down.

I'm probably going to add a couple lines of code to nanny.pl so that if it
does restart named, it writes the date and time to a log.  Figure it would
be an easy glance to see if named is crapping out or not.

As for the pid, haven't done it yet.  Had of Mon and Tuesday because the
company is owned by Jews and they close down for Shavout.

Adam Lang
Systems Engineer
Rutgers Casualty Insurance Company
http://www.rutgersinsurance.com