nslookup from WinNT machine

Bill Manning bmanning at ISI.EDU
Wed May 30 21:27:34 UTC 2001

% > At 8:54 PM -0400 5/29/01, Kevin Darcy wrote:
% >
% I have never said that PTRs have "absolutely no value". I've always said that
% they provide a degree of convenience, for instance. The question I am raising is:
% does their (IMO negligible) value justify the cost of maintaining them?
% - Kevin

	So stop using them if you don't think they have sufficant value.
	Others think that the use of the reverse tree provide some
	unique and excellent tools to facilitate things like IPSEC via
	a distributed CA in the guise of those trees.  There is no
	Internet Police force that will arrest you if you stop using
	techniques that you don't find useful.  Some folks find no value
	or even negative value in MIME attachments so they reject them.
	Does such behaviour simplify their lives? Undoubtedly. Does it
	restrict the range of participation in information flow? You bet.

	Does PTR support carry similar characteristics?  I think so.
	Can you convince your company and all its peers/suppliers/contractors
	to abandon PTRs for something better? Possibly. And I wish you the
	best.

--bill