nslookup from WinNT machine

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed May 30 23:08:10 UTC 2001

Brad Knowles wrote:

> At 11:17 PM +0200 5/30/01, Brad Knowles wrote:
>
> >       Until then, you're basically a moron yelling "fire!" in a crowded theatre.
>
>         I take that back.  You're actually a fireman in a crowded
> theatre, yelling "fire!", and this is far, far worse.

I have no special status as a "fireman" apart from the respect and creedence people
give to my opinions. If this particular opinion identifies me as a raving lunatic in
the minds of some, then I'll be judged accordingly. I can live with that.

>         You, above virtually everyone else in the world, should already
> know the pros and cons of PTR records, and you're welcome to discuss
> their relative merits and demerits amongst the company of other DNS
> experts around the world.  But you should not be publicly advocating
> the destruction of a key feature of the DNS without going through the
> proper procedures.

Well, the DNS standards, best current practices, etc. *are* public, so why shouldn't
discussion of changes to those documents be public as well? What have you got against
open processes?