nslookup from WinNT machine

Brad Knowles brad.knowles at skynet.be
Wed May 30 23:29:51 UTC 2001

At 6:43 PM -0400 5/30/01, Kevin Darcy wrote:

>  Again, you're mischaracterizing my statements to be much more absolute
>  and extreme than I originally expressed them. I'm sure PTR-verification
>  prevents *some* spam. Today. But as the spammers get more sophisticated,
>  it'll probably prevent less and less of it.

	Where is your evidence for this claim?  My experience is that the
amount of stuff being sent with one particular flaw or another never
decreases, indeed it usually continues to increase, as others find
other mechanisms to get around the protective measures you've
implemented so far.

	Imagine having a firehose pointed at your head, and you manage to
do something to get the amount getting through to be reduced by 25%.
Only, the firehose doesn't stop, and if you let your guard down,
you'll get blasted again by that part you had previously managed to
block.

	Meanwhile, there are other people who are working to get the
pressure increased on the part that is getting through.  At that
point, if you were to drop your guard, you'd feel a much greater
increase than just an additional 25%, since it would now be a larger
portion of a higher-pressure water flow.

	If you have any real-world experience to the contrary, I (and
other anti-spam experts around the world) would love to hear it.

>              The only difference, I think, between my perspective and
>  your (if I may characterize as ISP-oriented) perspective is that we
>  (DaimlerChrysler) are perhaps further along that timeline than most
>  because of our relative tolerance of spam versus false-rejection.

	Even if you were right, by virtue of working for number sixteen
on the Forbes Super 100, with more than $150 billion Y2000 revenues
and $54 billion market value (according to
<http://www.forbes.com/finance/lists/15/2000/super100.jhtml?passListId=15&passYear=2000&passListType=Company>),
you'd be sitting up there in some pretty stratospheric territory, and
I don't think that you'd be in a particularly good position to
accurately determine what an appropriate perspective would be for the
99.999999999% of the rest of the world that doesn't have those kinds
of issues to contend with.

	Indeed, I think I could make a pretty strong case for your
situation being so radically different from virtually everyone else
in the world that you are permanently in a totally different
category, and many of the kinds of things you do or deal with on an
everyday basis simply aren't necessary or perhaps even appropriate on
a smaller scale.

/*        efdtt.c  Author:  Charles M. Hannum <root at ihack.net>          */