Master-Slave-Problem (if master down, slave don't answer the queries)

Chris Buxton cbuxton at menandmice.com
Thu May 31 11:28:08 UTC 2001

At 6:58 PM +0200 5/30/01, Stefan Kaifer wrote:
>Hi Mark,
>
>I have Bind 8.2.3. I can't find anything in the logfiles. That is why I
>don't know, why bind ended by itself! OK, I made a script (cron-job) now,
>that checks evry hour whether the process named is running or not. Since
>yesterday 11 o'clock CET (about 19 hours) is bind running...
>
>I think, that is now everything OK. But can you give me some hints
>(=commands) please, how can I check the nameservers from the internet
>(nameservers run correctly, answer correctly, etc)? In the log-files, I
>can't see errors. I have here a separate internet-dialin-connection.

You can use the wonderful product that my company makes, DNS Expert.
The analyzer in DNS Expert will check your zones' delegation and make
sure all servers listed as being authoritative actually are so.

Or, if you want to verify things manually, you can use dig from
outside your network to query your servers directly. There's a web
interface for dig, running on one of our servers, here:
<http://us.mirror.menandmice.com/cgi-bin/DoDig>

Unfortunately, our online dig tool only sends recursive queries (no
option for iterative queries), so it can be a bit tricky to find out
where a given server is getting its information to respond to a given
query.

Chris Buxton <cbuxton at menandmice.com>

Men & Mice <http://www.menandmice.com/> provides:
  - DNS training, including Active Directory
  - QuickDNS, a DNS management system for servers on Linux & Mac OS
    (Solaris support coming soon!)
  - DNS Expert, a DNS analysis and troubleshooting utility