named -u -t

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Thu May 31 21:26:33 UTC 2001

Your problem is probably unrelated to what's in your passwd or group
files, since apparently the daemon is starting up and running. I would
look elsewhere. There are plenty of other things that could be wrong.

What OS is this?

How did you set up your chroot jail?

What's in your logs?

What exactly do you mean by dig "failing out"? Dig doesn't "fail out".
It may time out trying to get an answer, or give unexpected results.
What exactly did you get when you ran dig?

- Kevin