version.bind/TXT

Michael Kjorling michael at kjorling.com
Tue May 1 20:46:30 UTC 2001

Well, I think you have a rather old BIND on that one - BIND 4, maybe?
Dig 2.2 doesn't sound too new to me - I've got one that identifies
itself as DiG 9.1.1.

I don't know if you can _disable_ this (maybe adding a zone named bind
with class chaos, but that would almost certainly break other things),
but you can change the information returned. For BIND 8 and 9, this
is:

    /etc/named.conf:
        options {
          version "whatever you see fit";
        };

And I remember seeing this mentioned in the ARM. See section 6.2.14.1
in the BIND 9.1.1 ARM.

Michael Kjörling

On Tue, 1 May 2001, syn uw wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Well I would like to thank you all for replying me so fast. I didn't knew at
> all about this "feature" of BIND to return it's version number. Well I was
> quite happy trying the following command on my OpenBSD 2.8 server:
>
> dig chaos txt version.bind
>
> and getting the following output:
>
> ; <<>> DiG 2.2 <<>> chaos txt version.bind
> ;; res options: init recurs defnam dnsrch
> ;; got answer:
> ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: SERVFAIL, id: 55055
> ;; flags: qr rd; Ques: 1, Ans: 0, Auth: 0, Addit: 0
> ;; QUESTIONS:
> ;;      version.bind, type = TXT, class = CHAOS
>
> ;; Total query time: 23 msec
> ;; FROM: kyrandia to SERVER: default -- 192.168.133.51
> ;; WHEN: Tue May  1 22:15:37 2001
> ;; MSG SIZE  sent: 30  rcvd: 30
>
> to see that this my name server doesn't return it's version number, so this
> is disable by default with BIND on OpenBSD. A good thing to know. Anyway how
> can I explicitly disable this, can someone tell me the parameter that i need
> to put in my named.boot/named.conf ?
>
> Btw: What is this class=chaos ?? Is that a sort of backdoor in bind, I never
> saw this documented anywhere. And is that in all BIND versions ?
>
> Thanks again for all your great help !
>
> Regards,
> Marc

- --
Michael Kjörling - michael at kjorling.com - PGP: 8A70E33E
"We must be the change we wish to see" (Mahatma Gandhi)

^..^     Support the wolves in Norway -- go to     ^..^
 \/   http://home.no.net/ulvelist/protest_int.htm   \/