help..sinking fast...nslookup errors

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed May 2 01:15:35 UTC 2001

Hayden Wimmer wrote:

> when trying the following on my name server running bind 8.9.3

Um, there is no BIND 8.9.3. Did you mean BIND 8.2.3 or BIND 4.9.3?

> nslookup hostname.domain.com
>
> where the hostname and domain is the hostname and domain of the name server
>
> i get
>
> ***cant find server name for address 192.168.10.71(the name servers ip): no
> response from server
> ***default servers not avaiable
>
> all my forward junk works just fine...anyone have any ideas???

Sigh. This is such a very very FAQ. nslookup sucks. It aborts if it cannot
reverse-resolve the address of the nameserver it is trying to use (in your
case, 192.168.10.71). Either set up a reverse zone for this address or
address-range, or, even better, use a real lookup tool like "dig" which omits
this "feature".