In the process of upgrading Bind

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Wed May 2 01:30:06 UTC 2001

At 10:24 AM 5/1/01, James wrote:

>So I went ahead and ran the install on BIND 8 yesterday.  I ran the
>install, rebooted the machine and it worked.  I had a few questions
>though.
>
>1) The control panel application still says version 4.96.  Does this
>mean that the installation never really worked?

         The control panel has nothing to do with it.  That means you didn't
   uninstall BIND 4.

>2) My zone files are currently kept in the directory c:\win32app\bind.
>When the install ran it placed the files in c:\winnt\system32\dns.  It
>then created two additional directories, bin and etc, under the dns
>directory.  Where should the zone files go?

         Whereever you specify in named.conf.

>3) Where is the program that is supposed to convert the old zone files
>to the new ones?

         You don't need to convert the zone files, just named.boot to named.conf.
The only additional requirement for zone files is to add a $TTL at the top of each
zone file.

>I read the readme files 10 times and could not find nay of this info if
>anyone could help I'd be grateful.

         Check out Len Conrad's site at http://bind8nt.meiway.com/

                 Danny