Disabling round robin

liz.marks at clorox.com liz.marks at clorox.com
Fri May 4 23:50:50 UTC 2001

We have a network with both token ring and ethernet clients. Our DNS
servers
and many other systems have both token ring and ethernet interfaces. We use
the same
name for the token ring and the ethernet addresses in DNS. We also have
clients which
are only ethernet or token ring.

Example:

   jbs003 xxx.xxx.56.112 (token ring)
   jbs003 xxx.xxx.64.145     (ethernet)

We want the token ring clients to get the token ring address when making
a DNS query and the same for the ethernet clients.

We are using BIND 8 with "Round robin NO" configured in /etc/named.conf.
However, this is not recognized in BIND 9.1.1.

How can we disable round robin in BIND 9.1.1? Or is there another method to
deal with this.

Thanks,
Liz Marks