Reg: getting a name like company.com and www.company.com

Mark.Andrews at nominum.com Mark.Andrews at nominum.com
Tue May 8 05:40:22 UTC 2001

> > Hi
> >
> > I have been trying to get bind 9.1.1 (Linux box) to distribute these
> > entries with no luck:
> >
> > http://company.com
> > and
> > http://www.company.com
> >
> > I can´t figure out how to do the http://company.com bit ? in the SOA file.

	Firstly it's not a SOA file, it's a zone file or a master file.

> > Should it be something like this (SOA file):
> >
> > ---Snip---
> > @			IN	A	127.0.0.1
> > www			IN	A	127.0.0.1
> > ---Snip---
> >
> > --or--
> >
> > ---Snip---
> > company.com.		IN	A	127.0.0.1
> > www.company.com.	IN	A	127.0.0.1
> > ---Snip---

	These two ways are synonymous assuming $ORIGIN is company.com.

> > If there is a good doc. on this please point me to it.....

	"DNS and BIND" for the DNS side of the problem.  However most
	people come unstuck configuring the http server.  As log as the
	DNS returns the correct IP address it has done its job.  Getting
	the correct set of web pages server is the http server's job.

	Mark

--
Mark Andrews, Nominum Inc.
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark.Andrews at nominum.com