Disabling round robin

Kevin (HxPro) Wheatley hxpro at cinesite.co.uk
Tue May 8 11:31:20 UTC 2001

peter at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu.invalid wrote:

> liz.marks at clorox.com wrote:
>
> > We have a network with both token ring and ethernet clients. Our DNS
> > servers
> > and many other systems have both token ring and ethernet interfaces. We use
> > the same
> > name for the token ring and the ethernet addresses in DNS. We also have
> > clients which
> > are only ethernet or token ring.
>
> > Example:
>
> >    jbs003 xxx.xxx.56.112 (token ring)
> >    jbs003 xxx.xxx.64.145     (ethernet)
>
> > We want the token ring clients to get the token ring address when making
> > a DNS query and the same for the ethernet clients.
>
> You _might_ be missing something here.
>
> Whats the point of running t/r at all ? Why not dismantle it
> and move over the resources to ethernet ?
>
> And, whats the "cost" to let t/r clients pass a cisco to get their
> DNS queries answered ? There is nothing in t/r that makes life
> easiers for a DNS server, only things that makes life harder.
>
> Have you actually measured the latency diff's ?
> Have you done any calculations in teh cost involved to keep
> t/r running ?

This is not always the right thing todo... e.g. if you've got ethernet,
ATM and HIPPI, now your not going to want to throw two of them away in
favour of having one, so the original problem still holds, under BIND 9:

ARM chapter 6.2.14.10. The sortlist Statement

Is what should do the trick.

Assuming Class C or /24 subnets something like this

sortlist {
    { localhost;		// return Token ring first for the DNS server
        { XXX.XXX.56/24;
            { XXX.XXX.64/24; }; }; };
    { XXX.XXX.56/24;		// return Token ring first for a request via TR
        { XXX.XXX.56/24;
            { XXX.XXX.64/24; }; }; };
    { XXX.XXX.64/24;		// return Ethernet first for a request via
Ethernet
        { XXX.XXX.64/24;
            { XXX.XXX.56/24; }; }; };
};

Then configure the Ethernet only machines with the Ethernet address of
the DNS servers, and the Token Ring clients the Token Ring addresses of
the servers.

This has not been tested, but I think it should work, if your after a
4.9.x emulation then something like:

sortlist {
    { localhost; localnets; };
    { localnets; };
};

Should do it.

Kevin

--
| Kevin Wheatley             | These are the opinions of nobody   |
| Technical Services Manager | and are not shared by my employers |