HELP:dns split

hhoxha hhoxha at atnet.com.al
Tue May 8 14:04:22 UTC 2001

Hi
I am running a name server version 8.2.2-P5 on unix tru64 unix machine
with to ether cards
One of them is real official ip address and the other is of the net
192.168.2.0.
We have a real domain name callad let say offical.com.al and the name
server for this
domain ns2.official.com.al .
I wanted to configure the split DNS with the virtual network number so i

have read the archives
and i have added another zone let say private.com.al and also another
reverse zone
2.168.192.in-addr.arpa both of them have the primary name server the
host that corresponds to the private address of the machine +
private.com.al domainname
in the /etc/hosts file .So the name server is machinename.private.com.al

for the added zone and for the reverse private network
My   /etc/hosts file looks like this
____________________________
127.0.0.1    localhost
192.168.2.252    machinename.private.com.al    machinename
my-number            ns2.official.com.al    ns2.
_______________________________
and restarted named.
I have tested the conf form one winodws  NT machine and i resolve names
to ip-s and ip-s to names
within the private space.It works.
I don't know why doesn't work for a redhat 6.2 linux box that i have
configured as a DNS client
so i have only resolv.conf and no named running.
The resolv.conf in the linux box looks like this.
search private.com.al
nameserver   192.168.2.252 (the ip of machinename.private.com.al)

Thanks in advance
Hysen