ndc stats problem on busy DNS servers

Doug Barton DougB at DougBarton.net
Wed May 9 16:38:49 UTC 2001

	You don't need to cross-post to the mailing list and the newsgroup, they
are gated to each other.

Alexis Oosterhoff wrote:

> I am developing an in-house system for monitoring DNS caching server within
> our organisation. We're running  8.2.3-REL on a Solaris 2.6 system.
>
> I have 9 servers which are dumping their stats to named.stats on an hourly
> basis, using a call to "ndc stats". Most of the machines are dumping the
> stats reliably, however, on two of our busier caching servers (approx. 400
> lookups/sec), "ndc stats" works some times and not others.
>
> Bind is running as follows:
>
>     named -u nobody -g nobody -v /etc/named.conf

	First off, you should really create a bind user and group for this
purpose. The historical use of the nobody account is to check things on the
system as an unprivileged user. Having user nobody owning files defeats
this function. Secondly, I run some nameservers on solaris and have had
similar problems to yours with intermittent and inconsistent failures to
dump stats. I've never cared enough about it to track down possible causes
though.

Good luck,

Doug