If my host is dead, what's best for my DNS to return? [REPOST]

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Thu May 10 21:15:32 UTC 2001

In the absence of 24/7/365 website availability, I suppose the best thing
would be to put up a static "site temporarily down" web page on some
vserver somewhere. When your main web site is down, just point the address
at that vserver. I would think you could find a web hosting company that
would be willing to put up such a page for a nominal fee. Or, even use some
free web hosting service like Geocities or whatever, if they support
vservers (or get a web hosting company to just redirect to a static page on
a free web service, which might be even cheaper than getting them to host
the static page themselves)...

- Kevin