Another way to find the primary server for a zone

Brad Knowles brad.knowles at skynet.be
Fri May 11 07:11:22 UTC 2001

At 9:35 AM +1000 5/11/01, Mark.Andrews at nominum.com wrote:

>                                    BIND 9 does support
>  	forwarding, if you enable it, and returns NOTIMP if you
>  	don't enable it.  The servers use their own knowledge of
>  	the zone transfer graph to find the primary.  Looking at
>  	th MNAME is just an optimisation.

	Cool!

>  	We only recommend turning on forwarding if and only if the
>  	primary is using only TSIG or some other cryptographic
>  	means to verify the authenticity of the update request.
>  	The original IP address is masked by the slave so you can't
>  	trust the IP address in this situation, especially given
>  	how easy it is to forge a UDP datagram.

	Right.  The slave should just basically be able to re-transmit
the original packet (with TSIG) unmodified, but to the correct
upstream server, right?

	Is there any reason why you might not want to enable this type of
forwarding?

>  	Note this is real forwarding not what is done when you use
>  	a forwarder in named.  The later strips off TSIG's before
>  	generating a new query to the forwarder which may have a
>  	different TSIG.

	If this is different, then how would you enable it?

/*        efdtt.c  Author:  Charles M. Hannum <root at ihack.net>          */