zone name for a reverse lookup zone

Brad Knowles brad.knowles at skynet.be
Fri May 11 12:28:09 UTC 2001

At 10:50 AM +0000 5/11/01, syn uw wrote:

>  I am wondering what name I have to use for my reverse lookup zone name. I
>  have the following network address 195.45.43.72/29 and currently as zone
>  name I use: 43.45.195.in-addr.arpa, is that correct ? Or should I use
>  72.43.45.195.in-addr.arpa ? Or doesn't it have any importance ?

	The name of the zone file is irrelevant.  You could call it
SlartyBartFast and it wouldn't make a single bit of difference.  No
one outside of your machine will ever see that filename.

	What is important is the fact that you tell BIND what the file
contains, so that it can properly fill in the blanks.  The label used
in the "zone" definition in the /etc/named.conf file is how BIND
determines what the origin (e.g., "@") will be defined to be.

	That said, to make your life in the future easier, and to make it
easier for someone else to come in and help you with domain
administration, it does make sense to apply certain rules to the
filenames you use.  Towards that end, using a name such as
72.43.45.195.in-addr.arpa would probably make more sense.  You could
also specify the ending fourth octet, and call it
72-80.43.45.195.in-addr.arpa.

/*        efdtt.c  Author:  Charles M. Hannum <root at ihack.net>          */