Is this IP address under my responsability?

Gary Wardell gwardell at gwsystems.co.il
Thu Nov 1 07:41:57 UTC 2001

Hi,

BIND won't object but I would find lines 2 and 3 confusing.  How would you know which one would be used?

If my memory serves me correctly I think 192.168.x.x is non-routable.  I prefer 10.x.x.x myself, it's easier to remember.

Anyway, if the purpose of this DNS is to make mydomain known to the outside world then you can't announce 192.168.x.x to the outside
world as your address, which is what line 3 would be doing!  So take out line 3 or give it a different host name.  The names with
the 192.168.x.x will only be usable internally so weather you have them in the zone or not depends on your own use.  The world won't
know names like hostx so it doesn't make any differnce to them.

Line 2 looks OK, assuming 1.2.3.4 is your public IP address. (Which I doubt ;-)

Since you didn't provide your complete zone file I don't know if there are any other problems. You would need at least one SOA
record and two NS records.  The NS records should match your delegation data and I think cannot refer to a CNAME.  Which if I am
correct would create a problem with line 8.  I prefer not to use CNAMEs. I use A records instead.  It's not that big a deal to use
As with small uncomplicated zones and I think easier to sort out.

Also, you don't need to repeat mydomain.com on all of your records if that is the origin of your zone file.  You also can get away
without specifying the TTL on each line.  Using the defaults makes the file less cluttered.

A sample might be:

$TTL 1d
; yes there is a dot there below and not an @ in the e-mail address!
@	IN	SOA		ns1.mydomain.com. pedro.fonseca.iscte.pt. (
		2001062602	; serial number in YYYYMMDDxx format
		6h		; refresh interval for slave ns to refresh from master (6h)
		1h		; retry by slave ns if master ns is unreachable (1h)
		10d		; expire from slave cache when master ns is unreachable for this period (10d)
		1d 		; default time-to-live in any DNS cache (24h)
		)
;   The lines below use the name from the line above.
;   The @ above says to use the origon of the file
;   which in this case comes from ZONE statement in the named.conf file.

;nameservers
		IN	NS	ns1.mydomain.com.
		IN	NS	nsx.someotherdomain.net.
;
		IN	A	1.2.3.4 ; this line lets you type http://mydomain.com/

localhost		IN A 127.0.0.1
host1     	IN A 1.2.3.4
hostinternal  	IN A 192.168.1.1 ; only if you really need this one
host2     	IN A 192.168.1.2
host10    	IN A 192.168.1.10
host11    	IN A 192.168.1.11
host12    	IN A 192.168.1.12