recursive/iterative/explicit queries...

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at center.osis.gov
Thu Nov 1 18:41:26 UTC 2001

On Thu, Nov 01, 2001 at 01:14:49PM -0500, Popescu, Adrian wrote:
> Reading the DNS&BIND book by Paul Albitz & Cricket Liu, I got over some
> fuzzy syntagmas, like: recursive query, iterative query or explicit query. I
> understand what a recursive/iterative resolution is and I think that the
> attribute recursive/iterative is better associated with the resolution
> rather than the query. Also, what is an explicit query?

Resolution is done via a query.  It is the query itself that has a
field that is marked either recursive or not recursive.  If the query
is not recursive, then resolution might have to be done via an
iteration [repetition] of queries.  So a querier's resolution might be
done either by allowing the queried server to recursively call other
servers, or the querier's resolution might be done by, itself,
iterating over queries to other servers.

Hmm.  I see what you mean.  Do note, though, that D&B does use those
attributes for RESOLUTION in its initial and pretty clear description
of them in Chapter 2.  [In 3E, at least - I must confess that I don't
yet have 4E in my hot little hands.  Bad me.]

I'm not sure where you're finding the term "explicit query".  I suspect
that it's just a query that is being explicitly done.  Without context,
I'm just floundering.

--
Joe Yao				jsdy at center.osis.gov - Joseph S. D. Yao
OSIS Center Systems Support					EMT-B