Hosting multiple domains on one DNS

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Tue Nov 6 17:21:28 UTC 2001

In article <9s94ng$m2h at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
Palmer, Neal <NPalmer at uwic.ac.uk> wrote:
>I have been asked to host www.cardiffgroup.co.uk - intended to be a
>webserver within our control/site.

This domain doesn't seem to be registered.  WHOIS says:

   No match for "CARDIFFGROUP.CO.UK".

   WHOIS database last updated at 08:35:02 06-Nov-2001

The NIC.UK Registration Host contains ONLY information for domains
within co.uk, org.uk, net.uk, ltd.uk and plc.uk.  Please use the whois
server at rs.internic.net for Internet Information or the whois server
at nic.ddn.mil for MILNET Information.

>I dont see where I can set a record for this in our DNS which will work...
>
>	www.cardiffgroup.co.uk          IN      A       195.194.133.227
>
>This obviously isnt right as it lookup brings back
>
>	Name:    www.cardiffgroup.co.uk.uwic.ac.uk
>	Address:  195.194.133.227
>
>How do I tell my domain to deal with something which effectively isnt
>supposed to be there?

You need to add a new zone to your configuration:

zone "cardiffgroup.co.uk" {
  type master;
  file "db.cardiffgroup.co.uk";
};

and then create the db.cardiffgroup.co.uk file and fill it in with all the
data for that domain (SOA, NS, and A records).

See the section titled "Adding More Domains" in the DNS & BIND book.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA