Blocking TCP

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at center.osis.gov
Tue Nov 6 18:38:59 UTC 2001

On Tue, Nov 06, 2001 at 10:50:07AM +0100, Tilo Lutz wrote:
> I've read in a Firewall book TCP is only used to do
> zonetransfers.
> So I only allow the secondary DNS to do zonetransfers.
> But since that many request via TCP are blocked by my
> firewall.
> Is it OK blocking these requests or ist it "unhealthy" ?

Not OK.  It is "unhealthy."  The book is wrong - that's not the only
use.  There are several other uses of TCP, and there are better ways of
limiting who may transfer zones.

[Cricket, is this a FAQ yet?  We certainly discussed it enough.  ;-)]

--
Joe Yao				jsdy at center.osis.gov - Joseph S. D. Yao
OSIS Center Systems Support					EMT-B