Not able to resolve external names

John Ross john.ross at informix.com
Tue Nov 6 22:03:42 UTC 2001

How does bind 4.9.7 go about contacting .com, .net, etc?  What I mean is,
when you try to resolve something outside of your local domain, what process
happens (or in this case is not happening).  I am assuming that it tries to
contact one of the root name servers, but which one?  Is it random, or do
you know with some certainty which one it goes to?

This is really weird.  In nslookup if you do a "server
some-root-name-server" then it can resolve stuff, but if it points at
itself, the queries just timeout.

John

--
John Ross
Systems Management Integration Professional - Adv

 <http://www.ksu.edu>