Aging & Scavenging of W2K DNS Records

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Tue Nov 6 22:43:14 UTC 2001

In article <9s9om6$ru5 at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
Richard Phillips  <richphillips at lucent.com> wrote:

>I realize that this is was not a specific BIND question, but it does raise a
>question that is!
>
>Is there any option within BIND 8/9 that can be configured that would age
>out records not updated, or used?  I know this could open up a huge CAN of
>worms/issues!, but unless I can come up with a "VALID" reason for us to
>switch, then I'll have my hands deep into a W2K DNS implementation.

BIND never updates data automatically.  It's the job of the DHCP server to
send updates to BIND.

Also, it seems wrong for the nameserver to age out records by itself.  In
many environments it's quite unusual to look up workstation names, since
they act primarily as clients.  So a machine could be quite active on the
network but inactive as far as the nameserver can tell.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA