Should i be authoritative

Cricket Liu cricket at menandmice.com
Tue Nov 6 23:17:13 UTC 2001

> Hi I have a question
> I configured my bind (9.1.3) times ago.
> Now i discovered with a nslookup that i am authoritative to domains i
> explicitally mantain in my dns and not authoritative to domains not in my
> dns (e.g. domains i don't mantain zone files for...)
> Is it the right behaviour? Should i fix it?
> I've seen some other dns servers claiming to be authoritative to all
> queries... is this correct?

It sounds as though your name server is behaving perfectly correctly.
It should respond authoritatively to queries for records in zones it's
authoritative for and non-authoritatively to queries for records
outside of those zones.

What you're probably noticing is a behavioral change between BIND 9
name servers and earlier versions of BIND.  When BIND 9 name servers
go off and look up the address of cnn.com for you (for example), they
return that as non-authoritative.  Older BIND name servers would
return the same answer as authoritative the first time.  (Successive

cricket

Men & Mice
DNS Software & Services
www.menandmice.com

Attend our next DNS and BIND class!  See
http://www.menandmice.com/8000/8000_dns_training.html
for the schedule and to register for upcoming classes