Hidden Master

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Wed Nov 7 15:54:27 UTC 2001

In article <9sahlr$4po at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
Chimento, Douglas <Douglas.Chimento at FMR.COM> wrote:
>so in the end putting a unresolvable SOA MNAME record would be fine?

I thought we all made it clear, but I guess it can't hurt to repeat it:
Yes, you can put anything you want in the MNAME field.

Actually, I just remembered one exception: there are some country TLD
registrars that check the SOA record and reject the registration if MNAME
doesn't match one of the NS records (I don't know a complete list offhand,
but .FR may be one of them).  We use a hidden master for all our domains,
and normally put it in the MNAME field, but we've had to special-case a
couple dozen domains that we host by putting one of the slave servers in
the MNAME so that the registration would go through.

But unless you run into a registrar that complains, don't worry about this.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA